Monday, April 16, 2007

A Spring Tea Party...

...that is the theme for all of the dresses I have been making.

I spent a few hours in the studio on Saturday finishing up a dress and reconstructing another.

This first one is made from some thrifted fabric (the blue floral) and some leftovers (the snake print). My friend Nathan stopped by last weekend and suggested I make something with "crazy colors." I'd like to think that this is a step in that direction.

Here is a before and after of a dress I picked up at the Salvation Army. I am in love with this dress. I even managed to keep the pockets intact! That is one of the greatest things about reconstructing. I get to reuse the parts of things that I don't particularly enjoy making from scratch.

Here's another, better, picture of the Complicated Crochet Dress. I was working on this on the bus to work this AM when I hit a spot in the directions that I did not understand [dc3tog?!?!]. That's not surprising given that I've never tried a crochet pattern before. I had another 30mins of bus time ahead of me and the battery in my iPod was dead. I had no other choice but to call my Mom. She wasn't exactly sure what they meant either, but she helped ALOT and by the time I was off the phone I knew what to try. And I did it correctly! I looked it up this AM and it turns out this is really [(Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw lp through, yo and draw though 2lps on hook) 3 times, yo, draw through loops on hook, yo, draw through remaining loop on hook].

1 comment:

  1. I love the crazy dress & what you did with that Kimono a few days back. I just can't wait to read your article..... yippie.